Swedish massage is the most common and best-known type of massage in the West. If it’s your first time at the spa or you don’t get massage very often, Swedish massage is the perfect place to start.
A Swedish massage therapy session will rejuvenate your stressed out body leaving you feeling fresh and revitalised. Improving oxygen circulation is central to the swedish massage which in return helps in relieving stress.
The gentle yet firm strokes will aid in releasing tensions on your body which are responsible for muscle cramps, spasms, and sprains. Swedish massage uses five styles of long strokes:
- Effleurage: Gliding strokes with the palms, thumbs and/or fingertips
- Petrissage: Kneading movements with the hands, thumbs and/or fingers
- Friction: Circular pressures with the palms of hands, thumbs and/or fingers
- Vibration: Oscillatory movements that shake or vibrate the body
- Percussion: Brisk hacking or tapping
- Passive and active movements: Bending and stretching
For those suffering from osteoarthritis and other painful and debilitating joint conditions Swedish massage has been shown to help increase flexibility, enhances tissue elasticity and reduce pain. Many individuals benefit from a greater range of joint motion and movement.